Sedum spectabile Ice Plant
Sedum spectabile is commonly known as ‘Ice Plant’ due to its succulent frosted stems. It is also known by the title Hylotelephium spectabile.
Originating from areas of Japan, China and Korea, this perennial will bring interest to your garden for much of the year. Grey/ green leaves are produced on the thick, erect stems and green buds are followed by beautiful pink clusters of starry flowers, with heads that can be up to 15cm wide. S. spectabile will flower from late summer throughout much of autumn. This is a great ‘gift’ to pollinating insects in their continual search for nectar. If you leave the heads on they will glisten with the early frosts of winter, adding much needed interest at this time. These flowerheads can be cut back in early spring.
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Attractive to pollinators
- Long flowering season - late summer to autumn
- Winter interest
- Full sun
- Well drained
- Suitable for city/courtyard/banks and slopes/ borders and beds/ coastal/ cottage/informal/rock garden/ patio/container/wildlife/low maintenance
- H 10-50 cm x S 10-50 cm over 2-5 years