Euphorbia characias subsp wulfenii
Also known as Meditterranean spurge, the E. wulfennii was described by the great Gertrude Jeckyll as “one of the grandest of plants” and it isn’t hard to see why. This medium sized shrub brings great form and stature to your garden. The tall, slightly woody stems bare blue-grey/grey-green leaves throughout the year and in spring and early summer, huge rounded heads of greenish yellow flower heads form.
This is a plant that likes to be the centre of attention and does indeed offer a great focal point in the garden. However, you will find that it actually needs very little care. Pick the right position, in full sun and the E. wulfenii will be quite self-sufficient.
- Medium sized shrub
- Grey-green leaves
- Huge round heads of yellowy green flowers in spring/summer
- Full sun
- Well drained soil
- Attracts butterflies
- Low maintenance
- Do not ingest. Use gloves to avoid contact with the sap.
- Chelsea flower show gold winner
- Suits low maintenance garden, Mediterranean borders, gravel/rock gardens, cut flowers
- H & S 100-150 cm over 2-5 years